Who doesn’t want amazing glowing skin, especially as we prepare for the festive season. However, with our hectic lifestyles and busy schedules we are generally more casual with taking care of our skin. This causes issues like acne, pigmentation and dry patches etc. As we get close to the time when we will have to attend more parties, we just start getting more worried and that can actually worsen the situation.
To be able to understand how we can get glowing skin, we need to first understand our skin type and plan a regime around it. Some basic skin type are:
- Dry skin
- Oily skin
- Combination skin
- Normal skin
- Sensitive skin
It’s important to do a test at home or get your skin tested at a Dermatologist to know your actual skin type. I always use to think I had a normal skin, till I did a home test and realised I had combination skin. If you are not aware of your real skin type all the products that you use might cause more harm than good.
Home test to know your skin type is a simple four step process:
- Cleanse your face and pat dry
- Do not apply any product to your skin
- After an hour take a tissue and press it in your T-zone area (forehead, nose and chin)
- Take a look at the tissue. You might see any of the below results-
- There is no oil on the tissue. Skin feels smooth, healthy and moisturised. You are lucky as you have normal skin
- You see oil on the tissue, open and large pores on your cheeks and area around your nose. This means you have oily skin
- The T-zone will be oily but parts of the face like cheeks and other parts will be dry. This is the most common skin type. This is combination skin type
- Skin feels stretchy, pores are small and there are signs of flaky skin and also dead skin. This is dry skin type.
- Is your skin is irritated due to scented soaps or perfumed products? Do you feel your skin starts burning when exposed to heat? Or have you felt that weather change cause’s irritation? Well if the answers are yes you have sensitive skin.
Your skin is like a mirror that reflects what’s going on in your body and so it’s important to identify what our skin is telling us for our health and wellbeing. Hence, to get a glowing skin you must have a healthy body and a calm mind.
- Take time to relax, as stress causes a lot of skin issues like dullness, acne etc
- Cut back on eating out and eating oily and spicy food. Make sure you consume fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Do not skip your meals, especially your breakfast. Make sure you eat on time and do not have long gaps between your meals. Eat smaller and frequent meals
- Keep a check on your digestive system. Any issues in your digestive system quickly will show on your face.
How to get a glowing skin
- Always follow a skin care routine for both morning and evening. You must cleanse, tone and moisturise twice a day (morning and before going to bed) based on your skin type.
- If you have acne, rashes etc, make sure you consult a dermatologist
- Use a sunscreen when stepping out in the sun. Use a good SPF sunscreen to keep the skin safe from damage from sunlight. Avoid long exposure to sun.
- Drink at least 6-8 glasses of water every day to keep yourself hydrated
- Keep a check on your diet
- Eat fresh green vegetables with loads of fruits and nuts to make your skin fair and look healthy from within. Having a diet enriched with vegetables and fruits will surely make the skin glow.
- Skip on the salt. If you can’t skip, at least try to consume less of it. Salt makes your face look bloated.
- Omega 3 fatty acids are great for your skin. These are generally found in fishes and walnuts etc so try to keep them in your diet too.
- Take fruits rich in vitamin C take a vitamin C supplement as this is great for your fair skin and body. It helps heal pimples faster and also strengthens the nails.
- Try to keep your sugar intake within 50 grams each day. I know it’s difficult especially during the festivals but we can always try!
- Exercise daily or at least four times a week
- Be happy and enjoy every moment as our mind has an immense effect on our body and only if it is happy we shall see our skin fair and glowing.
Here are a few home remedies for glowing skin:
- Take 2 tablespoons of coconut milk, add red sandalwood powder to it and mix. Use this all over the face or body to gently scrub.
- Use Aloe Vera gel on your face every day.
- Take 2 tablespoons of coconut water and add 1 tablespoon of pineapple juice to it. Add some multani mitti (fuller’s earth) and then mix. Apply this preparation on the face and scrub gently.
- Wash off with cold water.
- Take a teaspoon of curd and add 2 teaspoons of besan (chickpea flour), a pinch of turmeric powder and 1 tablespoon of rose water. Apply this mixture on the face and leave it for 15 minutes
- Use a mixture of raw milk, rosewater and sandalwood powder to get glowing skin.
- Use fresh cream, few drops of olive oil and a pinch of turmeric powder to make a pack. Apply and leave it on the face for 15 minutes and then wash off.
- Make a mixture of 1 teaspoon vinegar with 1 teaspoon of rose water and apply on the skin. Leave it on for 10 minutes and wash off with normal water
So ladies, with all the festivities around the corner, indulge in some ‘me time’ as well and look your gorgeously best!