We are a husband-wife duo from Mumbai. I am a practicing Endodontist and Alok is a finance geek with several years of investment banking and corporate strategy experience.
The company has been seed funded by Aditya Gupta, MBA, who has several years of technology experience and currently works at Google.
Tell us about the company you have set up
Wymm is a new age matchmaking platform for the modern Indian. Our mission is to address the gap that exists between the scores of casual dating apps and matrimonial websites. We are targeting progressive, professional singles who do not have the time to deal with fake or glorified parent-made profiles, and are tired of awkward “family dates”. Finding a life partner is no longer a matter of compulsion, but a fascinating journey of discovering like-minded people, and we want to help facilitate it.
The addressable opportunity is of course quite large. Per the most recent census data, there are 250m+ unmarried Indians in India in the 20-44 age group, split almost equally between men and women. India’s most established player Shaadi.com has an estimated 20m users. There is a marked increase in smartphone penetration which will catalyse the growth of online matchmaking – 51m smartphones in India growing at 90% year on year, 50%+ users are under 25. Clearly, there is a tremendous opportunity.
Wymm went live on 2nd March 2015 and has already scaled to 5000+ connections. We are confident of gaining more traction as we build the brand awareness through digital and media engagements.
Finding a life partner is no longer a matter of compulsion, but a fascinating journey of discovering like-minded people
Growing up in Mumbai among free thinking and independent youngsters, we experienced first hand how the age old tradition of family-arranged marriages is giving way to a more modern and realistic approach to meeting a like-minded person and getting to know them over time. We saw ourselves, our friends and cousins share embarrassing and emotionally denting experiences while going through the rigmarole of partner hunting. We were convinced there was a need for a change, and so Wymm was born.
What has been your biggest challenge in achieving your success?
No dearth of challenges. Getting the technology to work has not been easy, especially the machine learning models. It has taken hours upon hours of testing and iteration to get to the stage where we are comfortable launching. And of course, getting the message across is never easy. However even with little marketing, we have seen a tremendous number of registrations already – which is also an indicator of the appetite for this product in the market.
What has been your greatest achievement so far?
We think our greatest achievements are yet to come. It’s still early days in the journey and we hope to scale to new peaks soon. So far the biggest milestone for us has been to understand and get the algorithm to work on the platform, which has is end product of hours of research, testing and iterations.
Who has been your biggest inspiration?
Our common source of inspiration are our parents who have taught us to stay committed and persistent no matter what gauntlet life throws at us.
If you could ask for one thing to help propel your business what would it be?
Rapid increase in awareness about the safety, security and privacy features of Wymm, which are especially designed with women in mind, would be the single biggest factor that I believe will help us propel the business to new peaks.
We are extremely excited about the potential for this and our journey has just begun.
What does the future hold for you?
I think it’s still early days for us. We are extremely excited about the potential for this and our journey has just begun. Right now a lot effort is going into increasing the reach and awareness of our platform through various media. We have also started work on an App parallelly which we hope to launch in a few weeks.
Wymm Key Features
- Serious dating website – we are a bridge between the traditional online matrimony and the casual dating apps
- Profiles are made by you – yourself! These are all real genuine users making their own profiles using their Facebook accounts. No fake profiles or glorified profiles about you made by parents
- Rigorous screening and due diligence process – we carefully filter and select our users
- Full privacy and security of your information. Don’t worry, we will never post anything on your Facebook page and your profile is not publically visible to anyone on our platform
- One Match A Day – we only give you one match a day – you can either “Like” or “Pass” the match. Only if you like a person and the other person also likes you, we connect you on our secured messaging system to carry forward the conversation. This helps to remove the clutter and confusion of scanning through 1000s of profiles and lets you concentrate on one match at a time
- Unique matchmaking algorithm – our matchmaking algorithm is unique and is based upon the information you provide and automatically learns from your behavior on the site!